The Caesar Creek Soaring Club (CCSC) was born out of the Soaring Society of Dayton which was started in the late 1940’s by a group of employees of the Wright Patterson Air Force Base and Air Force personnel. The South Dayton Airport (no longer in existence) was the first base of operations for SSD. By 1958 the club had moved operations to Richmond Indiana airport.
In 1968 the club moved to its current base of operations, a re-purposed farm now glider port, located 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Waynesville, Ohio and 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the Caesar Creek State Park. The 120-acre (49 ha) plot of farmland was purchased in 1967 and over the next one and a half years it was converted from a dairy farm into a field suitable for sailplane operations. As of today there is a 2,800-foot-long (850 m) east–west grass runway, a club house, picnic grounds, a campground and hangars for aircraft.
With over 200 members belonging to the CCSC, it is one of the largest clubs in the United States.
HISTORY OF CCSC – JIM HURST
In 1993 Jim Hurst, a long time member, wrote a nice essay about the early history of CCSC titled, “What Makes Caesar Creek Tick” that was published in the July 1993 issue of SOARING.
HISTORY OF CCSC – BOB ROOT
In 2014 Bob Root provided some of his stories about the history of CCSC.
TROPHY FLIGHT – BILL MAXWELL
Read Bill Maxwell’s report of the 1984 initiation of the competition with nearby soaring clubs to be in possession of the eagle trophy.
THE “PICKLE” & BRUCE HELVIE – JOHN ANTRIM
John Antrim explains how N36135 got its green color, the strange decal and Bruce Helvie’s name.
THE MAURERS OF CCSC
One highlight of one family’s connection to soaring at CCSC.
JOHN ANTRIM EXPLAINS PHOTO ON CLUBHOUSE WALL
Ever notice the photo with the Stearman PT-17 in the background with Bob Root’s Wednesday Breakfast Club in the foreground?
Three CCSC Members Complete 9 Badge Flights in 36 Hours
Using a single 1-26 glider these three pilots had a great couple of days soaring at the ridge.